The Grenadier Renegade

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Reasons 51 through 60 - good things I saw this year

51. The 40-Year-Old Virgin, which made me laugh harder than anything else in 2005. That Steve Carell and Judd Apatow crafted a sweet and funny feature and out of something that could have been, say, a cheap SNL skit, or, even worse, Shallow Hal, is a true testament of their greatness. I haven't got the DVD yet, but if there is a god, she will have included an extended version of the "you know how I know you're gay?" scene.
52. The finale of Sex and the City, a year late thanks to lack of cable and delayed DVD release (whither instant gratification?). I found it satisfying enough, if a little too tidy. And is it just me, or did it seem to anyone else that Miranda kind of got the shaft?
53. Arrested Development, Season One. Oh, zip.ca. What merciful being at your helm chose to send me the DVDs of this wonderful series, which I had passively added to my list as a possibly-entertaining filler? Hilarious, if only for the scene of Gob trying to propel his Segway up a dirt mound at a construction site.
54. Sahara. Soooo brainless. Soooo gratuitous. But Matty M. surfing through the desert on a windsail made of fallen aircraft? SOOOO awesome!
55. *cough*America'sNextTopModelSeasonThree*cough* What? No, I didn't say anything.
56. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Quite good, and quite frightening.
57. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Maybe it's because I live downwind from an actual chocolate factory, and maybe because every trip to No Frills involves walking through a thick fog of Kit Kat perfume (which isn't the best way to cull impulse buys, if you're curious), and maybe because Roald Dahl played a very formative role in my upbringing, but I thought this kicked ass. Some among us will argue that the Gene Wilder version is superior, but such individuals are foolish indeed. The Depp (Johnny, as Willy Wonka) and Deep (Roy, as ALL the Oompa Loompas) combo made a July afternoon most pleasurable for me.
58. Bach's Christmas Oratorio, as presented by my boyfriend's church choir. At four hours, it could have been painful. But it wasn't. Quite the contrary, actually.
59. The vast swathes of Northern Ontario, through the windows of a twin-engine plane one afternoon in August. I was at once overwhelmed by my own insignificance and empowered to the point of giddiness.
60. The Station Agent. A very nice film, starring a very endearing dwarf.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home