The Grenadier Renegade

Friday, October 20, 2006

Funny what spurs nostalgia these days...

Hey, remember No Fear t-shirts? Those athletic-inspired garments emblazoned with obnoxious self-serving slogans that became all the rage around 1994? I had a green one that read “Second place is the first loser” on the back, if I recall correctly.

Now, the other day I saw a bus ad for John Derringer, who, for all you non-Torontonians, is a pretty famous morning DJ on the city’s leading classic rock radio station. He’s kind of like Howard Stern, only smugger and less funny, but who am I to judge? People seem to like him, and hey, we all have our cloying populist indulgences (careful readers may recall my American Idol obsession of this spring past). Anyhow, the ad had a picture of him rocking this ridiculous face and wicked early-90s hair, beside which was the phrase “Everyone is entitled to my opinion.”

I’m pretty sure one of my friends in grade eight had the same slogan on the back of her No Fear t-shirt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home